Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Women of Opus Dei

 



Women of Opus Dei: In Their Own Words
by MT Oates, Jenny Driver & Linda Ruf
224 pages
NonFiction - Collection of Spiritual Memoirs

I was super excited to get this book and it did not disappoint! It is a collection of short spiritual memoires by female members of Opus Dei. The diverse format included essays, interviews and profiles. Spoiler: These women as super holy!

In each chapter, a woman shares her individual story about how she was attracted to Opus Dei, the process of joining and her Opus Dei activities as a member. These stories are so inspiring! They make Opus Dei seem attractive and fulfilling. The women are amazingly accomplished. Overwhelmingly so at times. (One is a former refugee who goes to Harvard and then has 12 children. How do you compete with that?!) It was counter cultural in a good way.

I learned a lot about Opus Dei through this book. From the cumulative chapters, Opus Dei members seem to share the following daily spiritual commitments: daily mass, rosary and an hour of personal prayer (30 minutes in morning & 30 minutes in afternoon). Prayer is purposely broken up throughout the day, so that members are constantly weaving it into their work day. There is a focus on dedicating their work as a form of prayer and seeking excellence in their work as a way to elevate that prayer. Through reading this book, I better understood their concept of "The Work". They use their ordinary lives and professions as a path to holiness. They also attend weekly circle meetings (45 minute lessons), weekly confession and an annual retreat. Traditional catholic practices are used and encouraged.

The women are fascinatingly diverse. Some work outside the home in high profile careers and others are homemakers. Homemaking is respected as a professional career choice. Hospitality (homemaking or working at a retreat center) is studied with the earnestness of any other profession.

Published in 2009, this book describes a teeming community of Opus Dei members and friends who take spiritual classes, participate in circle meetings and attend Opus Dei retreats through the Toronto retreat center. Spiritual activities are open to all interested and some people participate for years without feeling the vocation to become Opus Dei members. It seems like a resource open to all serious Catholics, whether you are a member or not. Non-catholics can even participate in some things. I wish we had something like that is our area! What a gift!

Reading this book gently but seriously challenged me in my spiritual journey. It was a compelling read! I loved that this was essentially a book about high achieving women who are 100% catholic. It changed the way I think about my own housework and elevated it. It helped me to think about it as my prayer and sacrifice to God. It also inspired me to attend daily mass regularly.

RECOMMENDED FOR: Catholic women who are in the world (not in religious life) but seeking a structured path to holiness.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds interesting. Are you a part of this movement? Ive read Jose escriva's meditations for years without knowing it is from opus dei

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a member, but I have been reading about them for years with growing admiration. I would be interested in participating in some of their classes and retreats, if any happened locally. Years ago I think I heard that some members gathered in Ann Arbor, but I'm not sure if that is still happening.

      Delete