Friday, August 21, 2020

The Thorn

The Thorn (Rose Trilogy #1) 
by Beverly Lewis
346 pages
Fiction - Romance
 
A fun and modest mental escape! I discovered Amish romances years ago when a friend in a secular book club nagged me repeatedly to try the romance genre. I knew that I didn't want to expose myself to bodice rippers and found Amish novels.

I love Amish romance books ... especially Beverly Lewis. Caveat: She writes with a heavy christian/protestant influence. They remind me of Jane Austen; the story is just as much about family and society as romance. They lack the wit of Jane Austen, but have a sweetness that comes from characters striving to live good lives. These books are extremely clean. There is no premarital sexual activity. The characters are trying to discern good life partners through their courtships. There is also a comfort in entering their slow, peaceful world.

Interesting and uplifting. This book introduces Hen, a young woman who wants to return to her Amish life, but is tied to the world by her unyielding atheist/agnostic husband. It is a new and interesting topic to explore through Amish eyes. Eventually the story follows Hen's sister, Rose, who embarks on a journey of romance.

RECOMMENDED FOR: Women seeking a fun and peaceful mental retreat.

No comments:

Post a Comment