Thursday, August 20, 2020

101 Places to Pray Before You Die


101 Places to Pray Before You Die: A Roamin' Catholic's Guide by Thomas J. Craughwell 
217 pages 
NonFiction - Travel 

This travel book highlights sites in all 50 states worth visiting & praying at - churches, shrines, convents & monasteries with retreat houses and other whimsical spots. It is making me want to travel!

I picked this up thinking it would be an international book, but I was quickly enchanted with the author's charming and personable recommendations within the US. A convent of Viking nuns in Connecticut, a mission church in the desert of New Mexico, the Nuns of the Battlefield Monument at Gettysburg and more... each spot welcoming visitors to prayerful contemplation.

The book reinforced the universality of the Catholic church for me by highlighting the diversity of the faithful. There are many references to African-American and Native-American sites in particular as well as sites featuring Catholic women and the Latin mass.

I got this book from the library (like 95% of the books I read) and started xeroxing interesting pages to keep for later. I ended up xeroxing almost half the book! I especially loved the convents & monasteries that welcome visitors to pray with the religious. I see a road trip in my future!

Recommended For: People who love travel, architecture, history and holiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment